Bakersfield Restaurants take legal action to combat the recent home order

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KERO) – Due to Governor Gavin Newsom’s stay home order, 15 to 20 different local restaurants are responding to possible legal action. 23ABC’s Bayne Froney spoke to KC Steakhouse, a place that wanted legal action against the governor because they believe this stay-at-home order will harm many businesses, especially restaurants.

“I’m scared of this industry and what will happen to all of these locally owned companies,” said Cassie Bittle, co-owner of KC Steakhouse.

On Sunday evening, Governor Newsom enforced a stay at home order for some California counties, resulting in businesses such as restaurants no longer operating outdoors and therefore being allowed take-out only.

Cassie Bittle, co-owner of KC Steakhouse, said this home order made no sense.

“In my opinion, the lace we see comes from families gathered in their own homes,” added Bittle.

Because of this, KC Steakhouse and 15 to 20 other local restaurants, including Hungry Hunter and Wickies, are working to bring legal action.

“We have no problem with the security guidelines that have been put in place. We agree to do the social distancing, we agree to do all the sanitation and wear the face masks. We are just asking that the governor show us the data that shows restaurants in our industry are the spread of it, ”Bittle said.

No official action has been taken so far, but Bittle says they are working with lawyers claiming they cannot be closed without compensation.

“We also sought legal counsel because at this point we were exhausting all resources, we did what we could, we have been following all guidelines for eight months, we are on this roller coaster ride of new and new regulations, things that we have to adhere to “Said Bittle.

For the moment, KC Steakhouse remains positive and continues to seek community support.

“We’re not big companies, we’re families who work together every day to keep food on the table and protect our community,” added Bittle.

KC Steakhouse will continue to take takeaway orders, but currently there is no exact date when they will officially take legal action.

Comments are closed.