Bakersfield man sentenced to 75 years in jail for bomb threats and extortion

A Bakersfield man accused of making online threats against the bombing of two suburban high schools in suburban Indianapolis, along with a number of other crimes, was sentenced to 75 years in prison by a federal judge on Friday.

Buster Hernandez, 30, of Bakersfield, Calif., Pleaded guilty last year to coercing and seducing a minor into producing child pornography and killing, abducting, and injuring minors.

Hernandez used the “Brian Kil” alias online to threaten a teenage girl in Plainfield, Indiana, in late 2015, prosecutors said. His actions extended to bombing that closed two high schools on December 17, 2015, a Plainfield Walmart on December 20, 2015, and the shops of Perry Crossing in Plainfield on the same day.

Hernandez was arrested in August 2017 after federal agents posed as a woman from Michigan.

“The defendant was adamant, the cycle was endless and in many cases the abuse lasted for years,” said acting US attorney John Childress after the conviction.

Hernandez was charged with his crimes in 2017. Prosecutors later filed a substitute charge adding sexual extortion and intimidation charges for instructing his targets to kill themselves. according to court records.

The federal fees cover activity from at least 2012 through August 2017 and link Hernandez to hundreds of alleged victims, most of them minors. According to court records, Hernandez used the internet to sexually blackmail hundreds of adult and minor victims in the US and at least one other country.

“He took away the most important years of my life. He stole it, he tried to destroy me, to downsize me, and he almost succeeded, ”said a young victim during the hearing. “At the end of the day there are wounds that will never heal and psychological damage and trauma that will haunt me to my grave.”

Hernandez apologized to his victims before being convicted by U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt.

“When I read the lyrics I just can’t believe that I am the one who did it,” he said, seeming choked when he apologized. “But it was me who did it, and I take ownership of it.”

Pratt said the court did not sentence Hernandez to life imprisonment for working with the FBI to identify additional victims.

Comments are closed.